Episode 7 of the Manly Hanley Podcast is now live! I’ve attached the show notes below. Thanks for listening!
The Content of your Podcast is not the only important piece to the puzzle; The sound quality can be just as important, because it’s the primary way that a Podcaster’s message is delivered. A lot of podcasters use a USB Microphone. Is this really the best method for capturing your sound?
- We’ll be announcing the winner of the Jabra Elite earbuds. Stay tuned!
- More giveaways to come
Are USB Microphones Worth the Money?
- Benefits to having a USB Microphone.
- Short path for getting audio into your computer, with minimal to no setup required.
- Great for a one-person setup or podcast / YouTube Vloggers, or doing creepy ASMR videos.
- Disadvantages to having a USB Microphone
- They can only plug into a computer.
- Can get messy if you try to work with more than one Microphone – setup can become confusing to many users.
If you’re just starting out and want to get a feeling for recording, a single USB Microphone is worth it – You can get a decent-sounding one for 100 bucks or less: Link to the Blue Yeti USB Mic (This one is $129, but the Nano version is less than $100).
What I Use and Believe In
- XLR is the standard the Recording/Music industry has been using for such a long time. I use mics such as the:
Rode NT1-A – SM-57 – MXL 770 (under $78)
- Boom Stand, such as this one.
- PreSonus StudioLive Mixer/Interface. This is where I can plug in up to 16 microphones if I ever needed to.
- Studio One DAW Software that came free with my Mixer.
- Audacity is a great piece of software that runs on multiple operating systems, so I have that as a backup solution as well.
- A few XLR cables from your local music store, you can usually pick these up for a great deal.
My Backup Solution
My backup Solution in case I can’t use my StudioLive Mixer: (ANY Cheap Small Mixer will work (they can be $50 and up, such as a small Behringer Mixer) in combination with the Behringer UCA202 USB device that can thus connect basically any mixer to your computer!
Follow our Podcast
- Visit us!
- Randrums on twitter
- Manly Hanley Podcast Facebook Page
- Sign up for BuzzSprout Podcasting paid monthly service by using my link, and we’ll both get a $20 Amazon gift card!