Randy weighs the options of starting your own social network, vs joining a paid operation that guarantees your privacy.
The main Social Media Sites (Facebook, Twitter, TikTok) are garbage - Dumpster fires for Privacy. My solution that has worked well is to not use them, while experimenting with my own!
- You don't necessarily have to have a home server setup like I do
Find a super-affordable web host (I've done that for this week) because I've tried about half a dozen.
- A2 Hosting is my now favorite, killer choice.
- I know a lot of techies out there would probably recommend against shared hosting, but it doesn't hurt to try it out. It's the best shared hosting I've seen. They office Softaculous auto installer for your websites that you host with A2. It works amazingly-well and saves you from all the steps that you'd do when hosting from your home network. Plus, you don't have to worry about network security as much as you would if you were hosting from your basement like I do.
- The installer has some social Media apps, notably HumHub, which is flat-out awesome.
- Both Zion and MeWe have something that Facebook-Instagram, Twitter, Google, TikTok, etc ,etc don't: The ability to guarantee that your datat isn't being sold.
- My conclusion is going to be that, while those privacy-centric networks I've mentioned are awesome and worth trying, the person that you likely trust the most is yourself. It's just a matter of whether or not you'd like to get your hands dirty with this kind of work. In my opinion, privacy with a side of learning is worth it!
Follow our Podcast